Monday, April 2, 2012

Warren's Woodsy 1st Birthday!

On March 3, my little man turned 1 - which hardly seems possible - and to celebrate, we threw him a woodsy-themed bash. It really helped to find such a perfect, rustic log cabin for our venue, but I also had fun making the decorations and, of course, the food. I wish I had gotten more pictures of the decorations - especially the monthly portraits of him that were hanging around the room and the cute wreath on the door, but I ended up spending most of my time hosting, mingling, and having fun. So I guess that's not a bad thing.
Happy Birthday banner made by mama and grandma Kim

Camp food, including hot dogs, chili and cornbread muffins

S'mores - these were great because there was a beautiful stone fireplace in which to roast them

The cupcakes were little owl faces made with open Oreo cookies and Reece's Pieces

Little man getting a look at his cupcake

A very happy birthday chocolate mess!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bicycle Jacket for Warren

Some time ago I gave a sneak peak of the orange bicycle fabric I won, so this may look familiar. HOWEVER, this is actually different fabric. I found the same print (which I adore) in flannel at a local store and knew it would be perfect for this jacket. The original fabric is still folded neatly in my stash. *sigh* I must also confess that I finished this project about two months ago, but life has been crazy and my poor, neglected blog has been, well, neglected. Now, without further ado, here is Warren's new(ish) jacket:

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bibs in Bulk

Seems like I have a dozen projects in the works but can't manage to finish anything! Well, I did finish 8 bibs for Warren - a couple of weeks ago, actually - but just now getting around to sharing. There are 2 of each print, but already 1 is MIA...My next project might just involve this adorable fabric I won from Sew, Mama, Sew! So many possibilities!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Burp Cloths for Baby Corinna

One of my friends just had her first baby, a little girl, so I whipped up a few of my easy-peasy burp cloths for her. As a new parent, I can attest to the fact that one can never have too many burp cloths. In fact, noting that there were 4 of them, Craig declared that this stash should last the new parents about an hour. While that may be true, I figure 4 more is better than none, yes?
Meanwhile, Warren does still go through burp cloths pretty fast, but not nearly as fast as bibs! Holy cow, can that boy drool! ...and spit up...and puke...and suck on them. So my next several projects are going to be bibs for Warren. I've made one so far, which is entirely flannel, but I think I need a more absorbent backing material. I am thinking terry cloth, but I haven't ruled out cutting up some of Craig's unused Sham-Wow cloths. If they can suck up a can of soda from a carpet, they MIGHT be tough enough for a baby bib. ;)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Quick Change Trousers

Now that I'm getting into the routine of motherhood, I've been feeling the itch to stitch. And it just so happens that baby clothes are a good way to get back into creating because they are small and SO much fun! I just finished these adorable pants, which Warren was kind enough to model this morning:

And they're reversible! I can't decide which side I like better...

Flyaway Baby Jacket

For my first sewing project for baby Warren, I made this flyaway jacket in a lightweight but cozy flannel. It was the perfect little easy project to get me back to my sewing machine, and I was really pleased to be able to put to good use this 1/2 yard of sweet polka dot fabric. Little Man seems to like it - and doesn't he look handsome?

Friday, February 25, 2011

Warren's Quilt

I FINALLY finished Warren's baby quilt! Since this is my first quilt, I'm fairly pleased with the end result, but I must say the parts I thought would be easy were the most frustrating. For example, I thought making the "quilt sandwich" would be simple: just lay out the layers of fabric and batting, then pin it all together. Not so. It took me several tries to get it mostly flat on both sides instead of puckering in every direction. However, the most tedious part was definitely attaching the binding. Sewing on the binding was easy enough, but making the corners look decent was maddening! (And notice I'm still not posting any close-ups of the corners.) Needless to say, I'm glad it's done - and even in time before my boy arrives.